Other villages near Boitzeburg include Wichmannsdorf, home of ChrIstina Feuerhak, and Hardenbeck, home of Karl Hoppenrath who married Christine Wilhelmina Strickert.
Hardenbeck, 4 km. from Weggun
Christina Feuerhak of Wichmannsdorf married Johann Strickert in 1829 in Weggun. Her father Martin Feuerhak is listed in the church records as a Musketeer, likely employed at the Boitzenberg Castle, just 3 km. away.
Hardenbeck church built in 1704
Fred & Gloria Strickert traveled to Weggun, Germany, in May 2014 to visit the home village of great, great
grandparents Johann and Christina Strickert, who emigrated from Weggun with their six children in 1856.
The town of Prenzlau, population 20,000, is an
ideal location to venture into the Uckermark region.
The Hotel Overdiek located right in the heart of town.
How to get to Weggun:
Travel north from Berlin for 48 miles on autobahn A-11, then take exit 6, highway 198 for 8 miles to the Northwest. See yellow map above.
[ The Weggun area is a half-hour drive to the border of Poland. A-11 continues to the city of Stettin.]
In this Evangelische Kirche of Weggun, many Strickerts were baptized, including the six children of Johann Strickert and Christina Feuerhak.
Prenzlau is a city of churches, among them the Dominican cloister.
In the center of town is the Church of St. Mary, with the first construction in 1215 A.D.
The north tower was added in the 16th century and the south tower in the 18th century.
The people of Prenzlau built the church in massive cathedral style in hopes of being named a bishopric, a wish never attained. Following the Reformation, the church became Lutheran.
The town of Prenzlau is represented by this window. The brown circle represents the old town walls broken in places. This city is marked by a cross, once the cross-hairs of weapons, now the cross of redemption.
The color red represents blood, blood of destruction, as it trickles like a narrow stream. But the focus is the shape of a human heart, flowing with life-giving blood, the blood of the cross. A message of love and hope.
On city map,
on three sides
The Weggun Church Record books.
Microfilmed and now available on Ancestry.com
Following the war, members of the parish
transferred to other town churches. In 1970,
the long project of reconstruction began with a
new roof & windows. The traditional rose window
has been replaced with a modern glass design.
Wichmannsdorf, 6 km. from Hardenbeck
Significance of date 1831, when church was built: Johann Strickert & Christina Feuerhak were married in 1829 in the old Weggun church.
As a "laborer" Johann likely worked on this church.
During this time, their oldest child, Johann Carl, was born May 24, 1830, but died on September 1, 1831.
The Weggun Cemetery
Inside the Narthex:
A Table and chairs to sit and rest
A bottle of water and
"For our visitor and guest: serve yourself"
of the city in
1945, left the
church in ruins.
Note on Weggun Church Door:
built in the year1831
You may find further information, dear visitor, inside the church.
Open daily from April to September from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m."
Founded in 1271
An old dirt road skirts the edge of the Weggun cemetery heading south toward the castle of Boitzenburg. Attached to a large boulder is an old road marker dated to 1796. Following this "Alley of the Lindens," the walk to Boitzenburg was only 8 kilometers. Likely residents of such villages found employment at the castle.
Strickert Family History
The name Strickert is absent from today's Weggun cemetery. Yet there are a few familiar names: Krull & Schulz. Christine Dorothea Strickert (b. 1801 in Weggun) married Johann Friedrich Schulz. Christine Krull was a baptism witness for Wilhelm Strickert (1841) and others.
Scenes from the small village of Weggun
Even though the Russians bombed Prenzlau on the last day of W.W. II, walls of the Medieval town still can be found directly behind the hotel.